Objectives of the GPSSBC are to:
- promote labour peace in the General Public Service Sector;
- promote and maintain sound relationships between the employer and its employees;
- negotiate and bargain collectively to reach agreement on matters of mutual interest;
- provide mechanisms for the prevention and effective and expeditious resolution of disputes;
- conclude, supervise and enforce collective agreements;
- comply with its powers and duties in terms ofthe Labour Relations Act and the Council's Constitution;
- consider and deal with such other matters as may affect the interests of the parties to the Council;
- promote the effective delivery of services to the community; and
- promote effective communication between the employer, its employees and the trade union sin the General Public Service Sector.
The GPSSBC, along with the other sectoral bargaining councils, is the steward of the rights and obligations for the South African public service.